What does SAVCA do?
The Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA) is the industry body and public policy advocate for private equity and venture capital in Southern Africa, representing about R170 billion in assets under management, through nearly 150 members. SAVCA promotes Southern African private equity by engaging with regulators and legislators on a range of matters affecting the industry, providing relevant and insightful research on aspects of the industry, offering training on private equity and creating meaningful networking opportunities for industry players.
Does SAVCA itself provide funding of any sort?
No, SAVCA is a non-profit member association and does not offer any funding to capital seekers. Should you be in search of funding, you are welcome to consult the SAVCA Members’ Directory where our members’ contact details are available.
How do I apply for SAVCA membership?
It’s simple! Download a membership form from our website, fill in the necessary details, and send it through to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting membership. A response to your application should take about five working days.
How do I know whether I would fall under a Full Member or an Associate Member?
All applicants for Full membership must meet the criteria as laid out in terms of the Association’s Charter:
All applicants must:
- be actively involved in venture capital or private equity investment; and
- be of good standing in the industry
An applicant must:
- have, as its principal business, the provision of equity finance to unquoted companies and make its returns mainly through medium to long term capital gain. These activities may include start-up and other early stage, expansion, management buy-out or management buy-in investment which includes ‘equity-type’ return;
- have experienced executives engaged full-time in venture capital and private equity investment;
- have venture capital and private equity funds under management having made at least one investment in Southern Africa and be actively making investments; and
- take an active role in helping to build and develop the companies in which it invests.
Those eligible to become Associate Members include, but are not limited to banks, development capital organisations, consultants, lawyers, accountants, financial advisors and stockbrokers, pension funds, insurance companies, development organisations, private individuals and national associations for venture capital and private equity.
What happens once I am a SAVCA Member?
You will receive a certificate confirming your membership. SAVCA members’ details are listed on our website and are included in the SAVCA Members’ Directory, which is distributed widely in hardcopy and electronic format. SAVCA members receive preferential rates for the annual SAVCA conference and various training programmes that run during the course of the year. In addition, SAVCA members receive invitations to attend member networking and information events in Johannesburg and Cape Town, and have the opportunity to participate in world-class research. Members benefit from the extensive work done by SAVCA in representing the asset class to policymakers, regulators and legislators.